Baby soft skin

Lately, I have been thinking that people have been in our lives for a reason, season or a lifetime. Typically, most folks fall in the first two categories. The "lifetime" people are maybe family and a few people here and there. 

When Dev taught Sunday school, many of those kids were a huge part of our lives. Dev was heavily invested in them and cared for them, way more than a typical teacher. Gradually, he drifted away from what he used to do and these kids grew up and became adults and moved on with their lives. 

Someone once told us that when you invest in these Sunday School kids, they will grow up and be there for your kids. I think this is mostly untrue. These young adults barely even know that my kids exist, let alone being involved in their lives. 

Also, this is an unfair burden and expectation to place on them. Firstly, they are trying to figure out their own lives. They don't really have the headspace or inclination to be involved in someone else's kids' lives. Secondly, most of us are pre-occupied with our own lives. Thirdly, they are at a stage where they connect most with their own age group. To take that kind of effort would involve more commitment than most are willing to make.

I started thinking about this because of my two kids - my son couldn't care less about who talks to him or who doesn't whereas my daughter is sensitive to all the social cues. 

Naomi will often come and tell me about how this aunty or uncle didn't talk to her, but they talked to so-and-so and ignored her. Or, she will say something similar about some Chechi or Chachan at church. I have to remind her and myself that they are past the "cute" baby stage. This would probably be the best time for her to figure out which grown up has time and affection for her, and then not take such a person for granted. Because, such folks are rare and precious.

I can't say that I remember many prayers that have been prayed by people, but some prayers stick with me because of what is said. I heard a preacher pray about having "baby-soft" skin on his heart. I thought that was strange but when you think of it, it makes sense because I think our life experiences make us hard-hearted. It isn't done at a conscious level. We don't think of ourselves as hard hearted but we are in many ways. 

We build walls to protect ourselves but these walls finally enclose us and stop us from living the life we are supposed to live.

Jesus was deeply saddened by hard hearts - Mark 5:5

What do hard hearts look like?

  • A continual resistance to forgive and a lack of grace for others.
  • Anger, bitterness and resentment left un-checked and undealt with.
  • Spiritual pride, believing your way is the only right way, becoming unteachable and thinking everyone else is wrong.
  • Inability to apologize, shifting blame to others.
  • Distancing from God, people.
  • Lack of empathy - refusing to see how actions and words affect others.
  • Self protection, building walls.
  • Holding a magnifying glass to others' sins and downplaying one's own.
  • Refusing to admit one's brokenness, and refusing the gift of grace.
  • Apathy, indifference towards others. Mostly concerned with own lives.

"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh". - Ezekiel 36:26

God wants us to acknowledge the hardness in our hearts. To witness a renewed heart with baby soft skin is a thing of joy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The paradox of Forgiveness

All about self

Generosity